What is your WHY?
It's easier to feel motivated to get through the difficulties of like, running, and most things in general, when we know WHY we are doing it.
Getting out to run those miles, to build up patiently, to recognize the big picture of what it takes to be your best (EVERY DAY!), really requires to work through some tough patches. I bring this up, because WE ALL have to learn how to work through the ups and downs of life. For me personally, all I want to do is run like I normally run...I WANT to put in the miles I love putting in during the summer...I love putting in big runs during the week...but unfortunately, I am finding that my knee is just struggling. Some days it's just fine (no matter the distance), and other days it just hurts beyond my understanding (I'm going research crazy trying to figure it out...science geek in me!). But I am recognizing (and learning!), that I am going to have to make adjustments but I can still be my BEST through the process! I share that with you because if WE don't have a WHY for doing this (especially when it's tough and uncertain...like if we will have a season, etc), then we will falter and back off or feel miserable now,
especially later when we realize
WHAT WE COULD HAVE DONE OR BEEN!
Here is another good way to look at this. I have to ask myself, "Do I want to get up early to go on a run or be to practice, or run a certain amount of miles...or do I want to sleep for an extra hour, or not show up for the run, or run less (which is fine if it is necessary and not because of a lazy choice)." In that specific moment of asking that question, it is a no brainer...of course I want to sleep in or do less at that time. BUT WHEN I THINK ABOUT MY WHY, IT CREATES A BIGGER WANT! A bigger WANT for my/our goals, a bigger WANT to get up because we have created a desire to overcome the human side of us, a bigger WANT to just bike, or swim, or physical therapy (even though I really want to just be running) to give myself a chance to be the person I WANT to be weeks, months, and years down the road (the SUM all adds up over time!). The Transformation Becomes instead of "I have to get up out of bed to go run," to "I WANT to get up out of bed because I see the big picture!" We must tie some of our motivation to SOMETHING BIGGER!
The reason for talking about this is because we don't know when the "Green light" will be given to race or feel more normal, but don't we WANT to be fully ready when that "Green light" is given (because it will be given at some point)?
Here's another great way to look at this...We want to give our future selves the gift of being prepared! When that gun goes off for that race, as we are standing on that starting line (that starting line can represent a lot of things...races, HARC, challenges, anything!), either we are going to feel a surge of confidence that we have put in the time, effort, investment, for all the work that we did, or feel a sense of panic knowing that we are unprepared for the MOMENT!
OUR GOAL TODAY, IS TO GIVE "FUTURE US" THE GIFT OF PREPAREDNESS!
One of the worst feelings in sport and just in life is feeling exposed and knowing we weren't quite prepared like we could have been.
We understand that all of you are at different levels of where you WANT to be with all of this running. Some are just discovering the process of our program...some are realizing that they have potential...some are overcoming personal demons (injuries, abilities, mental obstacles)...some have been "around the block" a few times and are reaching for higher goals (reaching for the SUMmit!)...what matters is the WHY we or you are doing this! That is what will get you through ANY MOMENT in life. It's like "Dangling that Carrot" in front of you...enticing you, motivating you, encouraging you to go after your WHY!
Some will call it the Sacrifice required to be Great! We would like to tell you that sacrifice is probably not the best word to use...rather we should use the word INVESTMENT! Invest in your future, which requires not necessarily giving up things, but simply doing what it takes to reach your desires (summer miles goal, run varsity, make it to HARC, overcome challenges, work through injuries or setbacks, be patient, etc)...if you are INVESTED, it makes getting up in the morning feel more of an accomplishment instead of a drag! Give your future self the chance to know you gave it your best!
TO "SUM" it all up...
when you are on that "starting line" you won't have fear...you will be excited to finally have the chance to go after it!
What is your WHY?
No comments:
Post a Comment